Love Data Week is an international celebration of all things data. The Health Sciences and Human Services Library will be celebrating with info sessions, workshops, prize giveaways, and more.
Want to participate in Love Data Week? Here’s how:
- Look for the Health Sciences and Human Services Library’s (HS/HSL) pop-up table at your school or at the SMC Campus Center during the week of Feb. 10. Come and learn about bioinformation and data services at HS/HSL and grab a piece (or three) of candy!
- Tell us about how you use data. Fill out our survey(which opens Feb. 10) for a chance to win one of three $50 Amazon gift cards.
- Join us in the HS/HSL lobby on Valentine’s Day, Friday, Feb. 14, for a “Byte of Data” coffee and doughnut breakfrom 8:30 to 10 a.m.
- Finish out Love Data Week with a data workshop. We’ll be offering sessions on data management, the UMB Data Catalog, and design principles in data visualization.
Schedule for Pop-up Tables
- School of Dentistry — Monday, Feb. 10, noon to 2 p.m. (ground floor)
- School of Nursing — Tuesday, Feb. 11, noon to 2 p.m. (first-floor lobby)
- School of Medicine — Wednesday, Feb. 12, 9 to 11 a.m. (HSRFI near the second-floor elevators)
- School of Pharmacy — Wednesday, Feb. 12, noon to 2 p.m. (atrium)
- School of Social Work — Wednesday, February 12, 1:45 to 2:45 p.m. (main entrance)
- SMC Campus Center — Thursday, February 14, noon to 2 p.m. (lobby)
Schedule for Workshops
Friday, Feb. 14
HS/HSL, Room LL05
Register for workshops at https://www2.hshsl.umaryland.edu/hshsl/workshops/
“Best Practices for Research Data Management”
Get organized and avoid a “data disaster.” This workshop provides basic strategies and best practices for effectively managing research data to ensure its organization and accessibility. Topics covered include funder and journal requirements for data management and sharing, standards for file naming and structure, resources for data management planning and sharing, and strategies for storing data during research and preserving it for the future.
“Get to Know the UMB Data Catalog”
What is the UMB Data Catalog and how can it benefit you and your research? We will answer those questions and more in this brief information session.
“Elements of Creative Data Visualization”
Learn how to tell a story with your data by incorporating creative design elements in your data visualizations. In this workshop, you will not be learning how to analyze data or graph it. Instead, you will learn how to take existing data visualizations and elevate them.
Don’t forget to follow HS/HSL and Love Data Week on social media: #LoveData20 and #UMBLovesData