The title of Distinguished University Professor is a recognition not just of excellence, but also of impact and significant contribution to the nominee’s field, knowledge, profession, and/or practice.
University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) President Bruce E. Jarrell, MD, FACS, announced in a letter to the University community May 13, 2022, that seven UMB professors have been designated as Distinguished University Professors:
Dear UMB Community,
I’m pleased to announce that seven University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) professors have been recognized with the designation of Distinguished University Professor. The title of Distinguished University Professor is the highest appointment bestowed on a faculty member at UMB. It is a recognition not just of excellence, but also of impact and significant contribution to the nominee’s field, knowledge, profession, and/or practice.
I hope you’ll join me in congratulating these exemplary faculty colleagues:
- Leslie Costello, PhD, professor, Department of Oncology and Diagnostic Services, University of Maryland School of Dentistry
- Diane Hoffmann, JD, MS, Jacob A. France Professor of Health Care Law and director, Law and Health Care Program, University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law
- Robert Percival, JD, Robert F. Stanton Professor of Law and director, Environmental Law Program, Francis King Carey School of Law
- Barbara Resnick, PhD, RN, CRNP, FAAN, FAANP, professor, Department of Organizational Systems and Adult Health; co-director, Biology and Behavior Across the Lifespan Organized Research Center; and Sonya Ziporkin Gershowitz Chair in Gerontology, University of Maryland School of Nursing
- Dudley Strickland, PhD, professor, Department of Surgery; associate dean for graduate and postdoctoral studies; and director, Center for Vascular and Inflammatory Diseases, University of Maryland School of Medicine (UMSOM)
- Peter Swaan, PhD, professor and chair, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, and associate dean for research and advanced graduate studies, University of Maryland School of Pharmacy
- Stefanie Vogel, PhD, professor, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, UMSOM
I’m extremely proud of the exceptional and transformational contributions each of these faculty members has made in support of UMB’s mission to improve the human condition and serve the public good. They are excellent examples of living the UMB core values, and it is my honor to call them colleagues. We will celebrate them and they will receive their Distinguished University Professor medals at UMB’s first-ever Convocation in the fall.
Bruce E. Jarrell, MD, FACS